‘Gentle Dental’ Protocol
Dr. Vinograd’s Gentle Dental Techniques
For more than 30 years, Dr. Vinograd has been perfecting his Gentle Dental Techniques, aimed at preventing pain and discomfort of any kind for his many fearful patients. Using the following five techniques for all his patients, he has almost eliminated pain from his holistic dental practice. They are:
- Laser diagnostics. Gentle dentistry begins with comfortable and effective laser diagnostics. A simple handheld laser is used to determine with certainty whether a filling is really necessary. Preventing unnecessary fillings prevents unnecessary discomfort.
- Micro-abrasion. This essential part of the Gentle Dental approach uses state-of-the-art technology to remove tooth decay with concentrated air, meaning that drilling is often unnecessary. Laser diagnostics determine if this approach can be used. When it can be used, micro-abrasion is non-invasive and does not cause pain or discomfort.
- Double anesthetic. When anesthetic is necessary, Dr. Vinograd uses a double anesthetic technique that involves two layers of pain control First, a topical painkiller is applied, then a second pH-neutral numbing agent is used, so the patient feels nothing at all.
- Cooler low-speed drilling. Heat from a dental drill can cause patients pain. When drilling is necessary, low-speed drilling does not generate heat and therefore means no pain. While drills often operate at 150,000 to 200,000 rpm and generate intense heat even when water is used for cooling, Dr. Vinograd’s handpiece turns at only 15,000 to 30,000 rpm.
- Complete patient control. When Dr. Vinograd’s patients raise a hand, it means he should pause a procedure until the patient is ready to continue. This means the patient is always in control of his or her treatment, and that means the patient stays happy and pain-free.
The Gentle Dental Techniques are a hallmark of Dr. Vingrad’s San Diego dental practice, and his reputation speaks for itself. A quick search for his name online reveals thousands of satisfied patients who do not experience pain — or fear — when in his dental office.
Dr. Vinograd’s priority is patient care, and that shows in the way he treats those who depend on him. Treating fearful patients has become his specialty because he cares about everyone like family.
More About Micro-Abrasion
Perhaps the most interesting and innovative aspect of the Gentle Dental approach is micro-abrasion. This method allows for the removal of decay in many cases using a stream of air and powder rather than drilling. That means there is less vibration, less noise and no odor, plus anesthetic is often unnecessary. In all, it has the following advantages:
- There is as little loss of healthy tooth structure around the decayed area as possible.
- There is no unpleasant vibration, heat or sound.
- There is often no need for anesthesia when decay is shallow.
- There is a decreased likelihood of a tooth cracking and causing failure of the restoration.
- There is less time in the chair, a shorter visit overall and more efficient use of everyone’s time.
- There is no water involved, so putting in a composite or glass isomer filling is easier and adheres better.
As part of an overall commitment to holistic dentistry and the Gentle Dental approach, micro-abrasion is an amazing advancement.